Making rsync run faster

From: hancooper
Subject: Making rsync run faster
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 21:23:51 +0000

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, August 20, 2021 7:52 PM, Koichi Murase <myoga.murase@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2021年8月21日(土) 3:09 hancooper hancooper@protonmail.com:
>
> > I was thinking there can be ways with bash with xargs or parallel. Have
> > been focusing on making a separate process using directory depth levels.
>
> It seems that GNU parallel has an example of rsync in its man page.
> https://www.gnu.org/software/parallel/man.html#example-parallelizing-rsync

Have been trying to use an idea based on a particular depth level.  `$2` being
the topmost directory.

I want to allow a maximun of nprocs jobs (nprocs instances of rsync) where the
total
number of files at the depth specified depth level are distributed among nprocs.
Would appreciate some assistance on how I could set things up.  Have also
concluded
that I would need some adjustments to the destination defined by `$destin` in
the
rsync call.

   dlc=$( find $2 -mindepth $3 -maxdepth $3 -type d | tr "\n" " " )
   echo "rsync -av $dlc $destin &"