Re: [Health-dev] GNU Health on MS Windows?

From: Mathias Behrle
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] GNU Health on MS Windows?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:49:02 +0200

* Jakob Lang: " Re: [Health-dev] GNU Health on MS Windows?" (Thu, 18 Sep 2014
  19:46:57 +0200):

Hi Jakob,

> first of all: thank you so much for all the help and hints! It is really
> awesome how helpful this community is.
> The reason basically why I think about running it on Windows is basically
> that no one of the team here except me knows anything about Linux. (I
> currently have a first version running on Linux...)
> Axel, you said "...for good reasons..." can you give me some more details
> on that? Or was that just a general dislike of a Linuxer against Windows?
> If there are really good arguments I might be able to convince the team
> here to go for a Linux.

There are indeed some good reasons to run the server on *nix.

As you may have seen, it is not that easy to integrate a Python service on
a Windows machine. It is even less easy to get a comfortable development
environment. The development of the server is generally made on *nix, for
stability, performance, licensing preferences together with a whole stack of
tools and third party programs to deploy a server webscale (put in some more
here, if you wish).

So whenever it comes to deploy trytond on Windows, I would recommend at once to
do it in a VM. Nevertheless you are of course completely free to run natively
on Windows, but again don't expect too much help on that side in case of
errors, becuase it is simply not the preferred platform.

Cheers,
Mathias

--

    Mathias Behrle
    MBSolutions

    Tel: +49(761)471023
    Fax: +49(761)4770816
    http://m9s.biz
    UStIdNr: DE 142009020
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0x8405BBF6