Re: [Health-dev] GNU Health on MS Windows?

From: Axel Braun
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] GNU Health on MS Windows?
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:57 +0200

Hi Jakob,

Am Donnerstag, 18. September 2014, 19:46:57 schrieb Jakob Lang:

> Axel, you said "...for good reasons..." can you give me some more details
> on that? Or was that just a general dislike of a Linuxer against Windows?
> If there are really good arguments I might be able to convince the team
> here to go for a Linux.

This is really off-topic in the list, and I dont want to start a discussion
like 'my one is longer than your one'. Everybody should use what he is used
to/likes most/serves the needs best/etc.

But to answer your question: Performance, Security, Flexibility, ...where do
you want to start?

Lets start with the most important one: freedom. 'Free' not necessarily as in
'free beer', but as in 'free speech'.

I have transparency and control over my system. I can decide to run it as
server w/o GUI, with a lean GUI or with a choice full-blown GUIs. Ergonomic
GUI with some options to adapt, not a scrappy surface like W7 or W8

Nearly everything I need comes out of the box, and if not, I have a wide
variety of software I can add (from the standard repsitories.) And if
something is not there, I have the option to build it for my system (even if
you are - like me - not a programmer. Or not anymore). In that way, redir made
it to openSUSE standard....

Nobody tells me that I can only connect 5 Users to my machine (otherwise I
have to buy a higher = more expensive license).
I can decide when I upgrade, not the supplier (BTW, is there a central packet
management for Windows? I dont think so...), and while one security upgrade on
Windows is running I have already installed 10 Linux-Boxes from scratch (no
idea why this takes ages.....before it rolls back. In some cases)

I currently work for a large company, and have a Windows-Desktop. From that
experience, I feel that Outlook, Sharepoint & Co. are highly overrated. W7 is
not handy. Even worse the server applications running on a Windows-Box with
SQL Server. There is hardly one that has no performance problems (probably not
only a problem of the OS, but of the application as well).

Enough words, I dont want to bore the list, I think everybody can add aspects
to it. If you feel you need more info or discussion, send me a PM

Cheers/Axel