Re: [Health-dev] postgres passwd while installing GNU Health

From: Emilien Klein
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] postgres passwd while installing GNU Health
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 15:40:30 +0200

I also performed this step when installing manually.
The postgres user from your distro has a default password, usually the first step is indeed to change it to something you know.
Maybe this could be added as a note on the wiki ;)

2013/8/5 Luis Falcon <address@hidden>
Dear Kaushik
On 05/08/2013 05:55, Kaushik wrote:
> Dear all,
>        The wiki for installation gives the following instruction for
> creating a postgres user -
>
> su - postgres -c "createuser --createdb --no-createrole --no-superuser gnuhealth"
>

> However, I got an authentication failure.  I assigned a password for
> postgres by doing -
> sudo passwd postgres
You probably executed the su command from your non-root user, thus it
asked for the postgres password.

> Then I was able to run the createuser command above.  Could you please
> confirm if this is ok?.  If so, should we add the add the instruction to
> the wiki to configure a postgres passwd.  Or should we make sure that a
> postgres passwd does not exist.
It is ok to do it with the sudo command also.
They are two different things. One thing is to assign a password to
postgres at operating system level (is optional) the user and the other
is to create the user "gnuhealth" in postgres.

Best,

--
Luis Falcon
http://health.gnu.org