h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] adapting h-client for python3/GTK3

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] adapting h-client for python3/GTK3
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 07:58:22 +1100

On 17 October 2021 01:38:19 GMT+11:00, bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community>
wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:47:55 +1100 Yuchen wrote:
>> Is there any specific reason that you think the server may not be
>> ready to experiment with h-client?
>
>the main reason is in case the upgraded server and client do not
>behave well together - but also, changes such as removing server
>support for distros which the client supports, would guarantee
>errors,

This shouldn't happen imo.  The server should have an api for the client to
query for a list of supported distros and the client should use it.

> if a comprehensive test suite were to exercise the
>client<->server interactions, for example

Tests are always nice to have. I think tests of the api should be in the
h-source code.  I wonder what kind of tests should be in h-client code.  They
shouldn't depend on real servers though.

>On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:47:55 +1100 Yuchen wrote:
>> If you want you could test with the staging server at
>> <https://staging.h-node.org>.
>
>that is perfect, if the live server will get the staging changes
>before the client is released

Yeah, the staging server picks up the development branch daily.  The prod
server from the h-node branch (merged manually from development branch) weekly.
 I may also make manual pushes.