guix-europe

Re: pre-Guix Days

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: pre-Guix Days
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 16:08:23 +0200

Hello,

sorry for not replying earlier!

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 07:17:46PM +0200, zimoun wrote:
> The hours are an indication and one or two breaks could be added (feed
> our body for better brainstorming, coffee to recover of the last hack
> night, etc.).

Yes, we should keep a reasonable amount of breaks. After all, people are
there for the fun and not for work :)  There could be some kind of open
channel if people want to "hang around" during breaks.

> @Andreas:  Do you think we could use the BibBlueButton from Aquilenet?
>   <https://blabla.aquilenet.fr/b>

Yes, definitely, although I do not know how many people the server can host.
And actually the server is not responding right now...

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 10:47:33PM +0300, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> > Two days is fine with me, but maybe it is a bit too much.  Do you plan
> > to attend or not at all?
> Saturday is the one day of the week I can't attend.

Maybe one day would be good for a first trial? Then also people would have
some free time (family life and so on) over the weekend without feeling
they are missing out on something. So why not just the Sunday?

Maybe if things work well, it would make sense to have shorter, one-day
events more frequently, and the Guix Days over two or three days before
FOSDEM.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 09:30:21PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> The LWN article is a great source.  Note that they had a lot of
> resources (hardware) to run BBB.  From what they write, I’m not sure we
> could rely on a single shared BBB instance like that of Aquilenet.

Or use the BBB and/or Jitsi resources at the maths department of CNRS?
They should be more or less idle during the weekend.

Andreas