guix-devel

Re: Core-updates merge

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Core-updates merge
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 17:31:16 +0200

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I have just merged core-updates into master and deleted the branch!
> This has been a long adventure, which became particularly intensive
> after the last Guix Days in February. First and foremost many thanks to
> everyone who contributed to the branch, be it by commits, discussions or
> by working on the infrastructure.

Great work and congrats!  Thank you for taking care of this, especially
with the time it took.  Hopefully we'll never have to do this again :)

> Each and every package is not yet in shape; please feel free to submit
> patches for your favourite packages that fail to build. In particular:
> - python-yubikey-manager does not build currently; work to correct this
>   is underway.
> - R on powerpc does not build; this will also be corrected soon;
> - aarch64 has very few substitutes; I think this is mainly due to the build
>   farm catching up and not so much to packages not building, but this is
>   difficult to know.

The graphical installer is also broken, but that should be adressed by
my recent patchset.

> Every end of a story is the beginning of many new ones. Several areas of
> work have already been identified; I will summarise what came up on the
> mailing list and who expressed interest to work on it - please feel free
> to join if a topic interests you, or launch another initiative if you
> want to work on a different subject!
> [...]

I also want to add something to the list: working out how we can best
implement the team-driven workflow.  We're currently lacking a lot of
documentation for it, and one thing I would really love to see is what
each team's current goals are.  Following the MLs/IRC is one thing, but
not everyone is able to read up on everything.  Should intra-team
communication be on guix-devel for everyone to see?  Should we display
the teams on the website?  How should we approach merging feature
branches to master?

Also, we have the new release on the horizon (I don't really remember
how far in the future it is), so we could maybe try to create a calendar
for it, and set team goals accordingly?

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret