guix-devel

Re: Latest news on core-updates

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Latest news on core-updates
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 10:20:18 +0200

Hi Andreas,

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 at 12:48, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:

> I hope we will be able to merge core-updates after next weekend; also for
> personal reasons, since I will not be able to spend much time on it any
> more after that.

I do not know if something is twisted with the report [1] of Cuirass but
many things seems missing.  Right?

Therefore, if many things are still missing, I suggest to apply #62967
[2].  It removes the annoyance you spotted out in #62954 [3].  And as I
explained in [4], it will be safe because ’valgrind’ appears only in the
testsuite of ’lz4’ and ’valgrind’ is not even run there.

Doing so, it will fix failures for powerpc64le and will increase the
coverage.

WDYT?

1: https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/417699/dashboard
2: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/62967
3 https://issues.guix.gnu.org/62954
4: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/62954#3

Moreover, I have revamped the GHC bootstrap chain.

 1. it cuts the number of Haskell compilers to build,
 2. it separates building the compiler itself and running the testsuite,
 3. it introduces ghc-toolchain that glue one compiler and its testsuite.

Well, #2 removing failure for i686 [5] since the failure of the
testsuite of 8.10.7 is not blocking for 9.2.5.

However, the patches needs more polishing and then because of ’pandoc’
depending on the GHC bootstrap, it would a large rebuild.

Since Haskell is also broken on master for i686, I guess the option is
to apply on some “feature™ branch” after the merge, right?

5: https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/953241/details

Cheers,
simon