guix-devel

Re: PSA for LUKS users

From: Jonathan Brielmaier
Subject: Re: PSA for LUKS users
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:32:46 +0200

On 2023-04-19, Felix Lechner via wrote:
Given the broad popularity of LUKS full-disk encryption among our
fellow Guix users, I thought the community might appreciate reading
about potentially weak key-derivation functions in older LUKS
installations. [1]

The article even offers fixes, although I cannot say whether your
system will boot after you follow the steps since I do not use LUKS
personally. Stay safe!
[1] https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/66429.html

In short, those instructions will almost certainly break Guix System!

Can confirm :) At least the described backup & restore procedure does work.

I also think, that our cryptsetup is quite old, so I built a patch for
updating: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/62960

While recent grub2 finally has limited support for luks2, it only
supports the weaker KDF (key derivation function) (PBKDF2?), as I
understand it, though would be happy to be proven wrong!

The support seems pretty limited, as I only updated the LUKS version of
my root-partition to version 2 (still PBKDF) and it already refused to
boot...

~Jonathan