guix-devel

Re: [core-updates] issues with python's zip

From: Brian Cully
Subject: Re: [core-updates] issues with python's zip
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 23:20:02 -0400

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> I came across this:
>   https://docs.python.org/3/library/zipfile.html#zipfile-objects
> So apparently when creating a zipfile object (this is the constructor
> we are looking at, right?), one can pass a parameter that tells it to
> not bother about time stamps of old files.
>
> Then it is a matter of finding out where it happens. I think it is
> line 450 of (in my case)
> /gnu/store/dy3xh053ahkhrp2jamggq8cpsyvp8mg0-python-3.10.7/lib/python3.10/site-packages/setuptools/command/bdist_egg.py
> which reads
>        z = zipfile.ZipFile(zip_filename, mode, compression=compression)
> Maybe we should patch our Python so that it becomes
>        z = zipfile.ZipFile(zip_filename, mode, compression=compression,
> strict_timestamps=False)
> ?
> (not before the core-updates merge, however)

Thanks for digging into this. Maybe it makes sense to patch bdist_egg.py in
setuptools, then, rather than chase down every failed build?

> But is a bit surprising that it does not happen all the time;
> or are only a few packages calling bdist_egg.py?

I don't know. According to
https://www.python101.pythonlibrary.org/chapter38_eggs.html it's an older
format, which has been superseded by ‘wheel’. I know I see wheel a fair amount,
but I'm not much of a Python hacker.

-bjc