guix-devel

Re: Latest news on core-updates

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Latest news on core-updates
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:41:31 +0200

Am Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 11:58:03AM +0100 schrieb Christopher Baines:
> I haven't restarted submitting builds for core-updates given I think
> there's still some big changes going to land, but in any case, it would
> be good to get this going once there are no planned big changes (aka the
> branch is frozen).

I am not sure what "frozen" means exactly; I would say we must not make
commits to core-updates unless they repair a broken package, or maybe help
repair broken packages further down towards the leaves. (And this has been
true for a while now.) And maybe we should go further and refrain from
repairing things in core-updates that are already broken on master, at
least if they are relatively close to the root of the dependency graph.
These can be done later in feature branches; I think we have the infra-
structure to shoulder bigger changes outside of core-updates.

On the other hand, this report is a bit worrying:
   [core-updates] locales not installed properly
   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/62934
It could potentially mean changes to glibc, which would throw us back
a week.

Andreas