guix-devel

Re: Question about packaging TexLive

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Question about packaging TexLive
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 11:14:43 +0200

Hello,

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> Other said, any objection to go from this pattern:

> (define-public texlive-foo
>   (package
>     (name "texlive-foo")
>     (version (number->string %texlive-revision))
>     (source (origin
>               (method svn-multi-fetch)
>               (uri (svn-multi-reference
>                     (url (string-append "svn://www.tug.org/texlive/tags/"
>                                         %texlive-tag "/Master/texmf-dist"))
>                     (locations '("/metafont/"
>                                  "/fonts/source/public/modes/"))
>                     (revision %texlive-revision)))
>               (file-name (string-append name "-" version "-checkout"))
>               (sha256
>                (base32
>                 "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"))))
>     (build-system gnu-build-system)
>     (arguments
>      `(#:tests? #f ; no test target
>        #:phases
> [...]
>

> to this pattern:

> (define-public texlive-foo
>   (package
>     (inherit (simple-texlive-package
>               "texlive-foo"
>               (list "/tex/generic/foo")
>               (base32
>                "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx")
>               #:trivial? #t))
>
> It is about ~35 packages, if I count correctly.
>
> WDYT?

I think this is necessary but not sufficient.

1. "#:trivial? #t" means we're giving up generating ".sty" files from
   source;

2. Some affected packages are also missing propagated inputs (e.g.,
   texlive-latex-graphics for texlive-latex-fncychap);

3. Some affected package also need to be renamed
   (texlive-latex-fncychap, texlive-latex-framed).

AFAIU, this changes will probably ease time travelling, but the massive
rebuild it will entail will have to be repeated for the other steps.

So maybe we could do every step above in one go?

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou