guix-devel

Re: Core-updates after the staging merge

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Core-updates after the staging merge
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:38:58 +0200

Am Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 02:19:43PM +0200 schrieb Simon Tournier:
> and instead we could try this shorter one:
>    7.8.4
> -> 8.0.2 (needs >= 7.10)

Here it looks like we still need 7.10.

> where ghc-x.y is a full GHC containing the complete testsuite.  I
> propose here to replace by ’ghc-x.y/bootstrap’ where the tests are
> turned off for this ghc-x.y/bootstrap.  We would not have to wait hours
> and hours… Hum, I do not know if it is a good idea. :-)

Well, it would mean that bootstrapping would somehow happen in parallel
to building the full ghc versions with tests. But is there any use for
keeping these old versions around except for bootstrapping? If not, it
might be enough to enable tests only for the last, user facing version.

Andreas