guix-devel

Re: wget (was Re: i686 core-updates failure.)

From: Kaelyn
Subject: Re: wget (was Re: i686 core-updates failure.)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 17:49:56 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Sunday, April 16th, 2023 at 5:06 PM, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:

> Am Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 06:25:52PM +0000 schrieb Kaelyn:
>
> > I tried to update the package definition to be able to build from git but
> > it became a much bigger rabbit hole than I have the energy for at the
> > moment.
>

> As an explanation, this may be because the git checkout contains gnulib
> as a submodule. So just "git clone" is not enough.

Indeed. I'd basically gotten as far as pointing the origin to the git repo and
adding a bunch of needed inputs for the bootstrap phase. At that point the
bootstrap script tried to run git, and git couldn't find a valid work tree.
Looking at the script, it seemed that the flag "--no-git" would have to be
passed in to prevent it from trying to run git and I wasn't sure how to pass
the flag to the bootstrap script with the gnu-build-system (and suspected that
once I cleared that hurdle I'd have more work to do for satisfying the gnulib
dependency).

Cheers,
Kaelyn