guix-devel

Re: Imagemagick with OpenEXR support

From: Théo Tyburn
Subject: Re: Imagemagick with OpenEXR support
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 02:17:20 +0200

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023, 01:37 Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:

Théo Maxime Tyburn <theo.tyburn@gmail.com> writes:

> Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> writes:
>
>> Théo Maxime Tyburn <theo.tyburn@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> ```
>>> checking for OpenEXR >= 1.0.6... no
>>> [...]
>>> Delegate library configuration:
>>> OpenEXR           --with-openexr=yes          no
>>> ```
>>
>> If we are going by semver, then 1.0.6 is incompatible with 3.x.  Maybe
>> it expects an older version?
>
> Hum. But it seems to look for a version that is greater or equal
> 1.0.6. Shouldn't 3.x be matched ? Maybe I misunderstand semver.
> You mean 3.x could have incompatibilities so that is what is is not
> matched ?

A major version bump is supposed to mean a backwards incompatible
change, so depending on how the greater-than operator works, 1.x might
not be "smaller" than 3.x.  It's not a total ordering, I think it's a...
semilattice?  Or something along those lines.

Ah I see. That would make sense.

Though semver.org says:

```
Precedence is determined by the first difference when comparing each of these identifiers from left to right as follows: Major, minor, and patch versions are always compared numerically.

Example: 1.0.0 < 2.0.0 < 2.1.0 < 2.1.1.
```

But maybe the imagemagick config also specifies a maximum version and doesn't say it out loud in the printed output. I'll have a look