guix-devel

Re: Contributing Guix Home services

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR
Subject: Re: Contributing Guix Home services
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 14:03:55 +0200

Hi Ludo’

Quoting Ludovic Courtès (2023-04-13 22:42:56)
> Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> skribis:
>
> > This doesn't answer the question "how complete need a service be to make
> > it to master?", though. But I've a lot of re-write to do before submitting
> > patches
> > anyway!
>
> Sorry for not noticing earlier!

No problem!
It's been quite a journey on my side! Ups. Downs. Mostly downs, though! 😅
Thanks to Simon's unconditional technical and moral support, a **LOT**
has changed since I sent this message. Hopefully for the better! 🤞
At least now one of them [1] looks like a decent home service. Except
for the problem with `(every khal-calendar? lst)` that I haven't figure
out yet.

[1]:
https://git.easter-eggs.org/bioneland/guix/-/blob/main/bioneland/home/services/khal.scm

The one for MSMTP [2] does not contain all the available options, but all
the configurations and serializers are there.

[2]:
https://git.easter-eggs.org/bioneland/guix/-/blob/main/bioneland/home/services/msmtp.scm

> There’s no formal rule, but I think that what we’ve been doing so far is to
> ensure basic functionality of
> the service is covered, and to provide an “escape hatch” for bits of the
> configuration that are not covered.

If by "escape hatch" you mean `extra-config`, you're right! I'll try to
add it where ever I can. Does make sense to add on to every
configuration though.

> Contributions in this area are most welcome!

I'll try to submit a patch for one of the two mentioned above soon…ish!

Cheers,

--
Tanguy