guix-devel

Re: i686 core-updates failure.

From: Kaelyn
Subject: Re: i686 core-updates failure.
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 04:37:55 +0000

Hi,

------- Original Message -------
On Wednesday, April 12th, 2023 at 9:31 PM, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Am Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 04:11:58PM +0000 schrieb Kaelyn:
>
> > For the actual failures in python-numpy[2]:
>

> you could always try whether an update solves the test failures; the package
> has 2892 dependents, but anyway, the only option is fixing it and rebuilding
> all the 2892 dependents also on x86_64, or renouncing at the 2892 dependents
> on i686. I think the former would be preferable (and maybe even required for
> merging).

I forgot to mention that I had also tried updating to the latest numpy
(2.24.2), with the same tests failing. I agree the test failures in numpy need
to be resolved in some way for merging core-updates, since the failure affects
such a large number of common (desktop) applications on i686. My inclination is
to disable both failing tests (at least for now), and possibly updating to the
latest numpy since changing the package would trigger a rebuild anyway. I only
hesitate about disabling TestKind.test_all since I don't know what role the
Fortran bridging code plays in numpy and if the failure is a sign of a
legitimate problem instead of a platform limitation (as the large array test
failure seems to be).

Cheers,
Kaelyn