guix-devel

Re: Proof of concept: Shepherd + DBus = ♥

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Proof of concept: Shepherd + DBus = ♥
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 15:44:15 +0200

Hi,

Wow!  Very cool!

(Being very late to the party does not mean the party is not fun. ;-))

On ven., 24 févr. 2023 at 21:55, Liliana Marie Prikler
<liliana.prikler@gmail.com> wrote:

> $ herd getenv gnome PATH
>
> ;;; (reply #t "\"/gnu/store/s43dhx83c3a2g79vs5anf3wdmv9lwpi3-glib-
> 2.70.2-bin/bin:/run/setuid-
> programs:/home/yuri/.config/guix/current/bin:$HOME/.guix-
> profile/bin:$HOME/.guix-profile/sbin:/run/current-
> system/profile/bin:/run/current-system/profile/sbin\"")

[...]

> Anyway, we can now talk to DBus services from Shepherd, although doing
> so is currently a bit of a pain in the buttocks.  Much of this is due
> to guile-ac-d-bus being somewhat obtuse and not having enough fibers in
> it.  That being said, I'm sure there's some other use-case out there
> that is a good fit for this (wanna talk to loginctl for hibernation
> perhaps?)

Does it open a way to have dedicated and/or isolated Gnome “workspace“
setting some paths?  Say, on this workspace 1 only Web related
applications and on that workspace 2 only Emacs related stuff, etc.

Cheers,
simon