guix-devel

Re: [GSoC 23] distributed substitutes, cost of storage

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: [GSoC 23] distributed substitutes, cost of storage
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 16:05:59 +0000

> Haven't read the Swarm thing, going more off of the general vibe of
> these cryptocurrency related projects that keep popping up:
> Using some kind of (optional) web of trust for clients makes more sense
> to me than making people pay with cryptocurrencies.
>
> I should be able to set up two computers on a LAN in the middle of
> nowhere without having to care about some blockchain's global
> consistency.

yes, but those are different tasks, solved by different tools.

Swarm (and IPFS, and their ilk) solve large-scale cooperation in storing
content. and the larger the scale of cooperation, the larger the benefits
(redundance, fault tolerance, speed due to automatic caching, etc).

> NDN can do this right and has been able to for a while.
> Personally, I would try that and other established non-ponzi
> technologies first for distributed substitutes.
> Not being "permissionless" should not be considered a must have.

no, it's not a must have. it's just one more storage backend for storing
substitutes -- once an abstraction layer like ERIS is installed.

without using ERIS, i wouldn't advocate for adding Swarm as the sole p2p
backend integrated into Guix. there are better candidates for such a
hypothetical singular position, or even as the first backend to get integrated.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39