guix-devel

Re: [GSoC 23] distributed substitutes, cost of storage

From: Csepp
Subject: Re: [GSoC 23] distributed substitutes, cost of storage
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 02:46:44 +0200

Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> writes:

>> Could you be provide some details for helping my curiosity?
>

> this page also has a much shorter whitepaper:
>
> https://www.ethswarm.org/why
>
> it started out as a storage layer for Ethereum, and as such one of its
> main task is to store the blockchain data, but it's not limited to
> that. there's nothing special about the blockchain data from this
> perspective, and reflecting that, the Swarm project is not under the
> Ethereum umbrella anymore.

Haven't read the Swarm thing, going more off of the general vibe of
these cryptocurrency related projects that keep popping up:
Using some kind of (optional) web of trust for clients makes more sense
to me than making people pay with cryptocurrencies.

I should be able to set up two computers on a LAN in the middle of
nowhere without having to care about some blockchain's global
consistency.

NDN can do this right and has been able to for a while.
Personally, I would try that and other established non-ponzi
technologies first for distributed substitutes.
Not being "permissionless" should not be considered a must have.

I have some more thoughts about this but I really should be sleeping.  I
already spent way too much redrafting this email.