guix-devel

Re: Time travel accident

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Time travel accident
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 10:30:11 +0200

Hi Konrad,

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> writes:

> I guess there is nothing we can do retroactively to fix this, but can we
> do something to prevent such issues in the future?
>
> One idea is to allow disabling tests at the command line. I'd then run
> "guix build" for that specific package with tests disabled, and
> continue. That should be doable with a suitable package transformation.

We have --without-tests=package already, see --help-transform for all
available package transformations.  The one annoying thing is that
disabling tests will change the derivation and you thus will not recover
the same store item (it might be bit-for-bit equivalent, but its path
will not be the same), preventing you from using substitutes either.

Though, I'm not sure it will help you here because openssl is built as
part of the `guix time-machine`'s build process, which afaik cannot be
transformed.

By the way, we can also "fix the past" by using guix/quirks.scm.  Since
that version of openssl doesn't build anymore, I wonder if we could just
change its derivation retroactively to at least make it build.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret