guix-devel

Re: [GSoC 23] distributed substitutes, cost of storage

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: [GSoC 23] distributed substitutes, cost of storage
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2023 10:13:08 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 04 Apr 2023 at 10:53, Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> wrote:

>  2) swarm-like, where the nodes are responsible for storing whatever
>     content "is" in their "neighborhood". (block hashes and node ids
>     are in the same domain, so there's a distance metric between a
>     block and a node). put another way: Swarm stores not only the
>     metadata in the DHT, but also the data itself.

If like me, some reader does not know what Swarm means, I guess it
refers to “hard disk of the world computer” that the Ethereum Foundation
envisions.  From my rough understanding, it is the way the Ethereum
cryptocurrency [1] stores its blockchain.

The only reference I am able to find – and I have not read it at all –
is this book of 287 pages [2]:

                           the book of Swarm

  (storage and communication infrastructure for self-sovereign digital
           society back-end stack for the decentralised web)

Well, fully ignorant on this topic, I am missing how its design
specifically targeting one blockchain dedicated to cryptocurrency could
be adapted to share Guix susbtitutes.  However, somehow, I am not
convinced that Guix should introduce some mechanisms to tackle some free
rider problems [3].

Could you be provide some details for helping my curiosity?

1: https://ethereum.org/en/what-is-ethereum/
2: https://www.ethswarm.org/The-Book-of-Swarm.pdf
3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-rider_problem

Cheers,