guix-devel

Re: [core-updates] It would be nice to fix libsndfile CVE-2021-3246 (arb

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: [core-updates] It would be nice to fix libsndfile CVE-2021-3246 (arbitrary code execution via crafted WAV file)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 20:13:19 -0700

Hi Leo,

On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 7:49 PM Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:

> See <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/49817>, which was never applied
> anywhere.

According to the Debian Bug for this issue [1] the upstream commit
with the fix is here. [2]

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=991496#5
[2]
https://github.com/libsndfile/libsndfile/commit/deb669ee8be55a94565f6f8a6b60890c2e7c6f32

> I guess it's enough to update libsndfile to 1.1.0 on core-updates.

The upstream commit [2] shows that the issue was fixed in libsndfile's
master branch as part of their merge request #713, which made it into
these versions:

1.2.0
1.1.0
1.1.0beta2
1.1.0beta1

It may therefore be better to upgrade directly to 1.2.0, except I
think there was an understanding that no new features should be
allowed on our core-updates branch at this time.

In that context, I will mention that Repology shows Guix as shipping a
defective version [3] while NIST scored the vulnerability as "8.8
HIGH" [4] although we seem to have company.

Kind regards
Felix Lechner

[3] https://repology.org/project/libsndfile/versions
[4] https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2021-3246