guix-devel

Re: Question on the process of packge withdrawal

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Question on the process of packge withdrawal
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:12:34 -0500

Hi,

Sharlatan Hellseher <sharlatanus@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>   Other example
>
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=ba17b160ed7d09ef58183c22b6f1b10ee7ba926d>
>   the reason it's not updated at <http://www.catb.org/~esr/> -
>   development was moved to <https://gitlab.com/esr/reposurgeon>.

The reason this one was removed was that it had not built since 2018,
and nobody offered to do the work to package the missing Go things to
update it.  It was discussed in the associated bug [0].

[0]  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/33614

>   That tendency concerns me as a packager it's not clear for me which
>   criterias were used to make a division to withdraw the package(s). The
>   age of project is not always a good measure for example example,
>   [Common Lisp] ecosystem has quite ancient packages (5-8y old of not
>   touched since the last commit) but still in active use (check
>   [pgloader])
>
>   It's an open discussion to drag some attention to this case and
>   compile some common seance checklist before removing package from Guix
>   ecosystem. From my experience it's sometimes hard to have new package
>   to be included :).

I think packages removal should go to the patch tracker, with a CC to
guix-devel to give more visibility to let time for all parties to
comment or find a solution (perhaps a maintained fork exists, etc.)

--
Thanks,
Maxim