guix-devel

Re: Projects for the Google Summer of Code

From: Kyle
Subject: Re: Projects for the Google Summer of Code
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 16:52:47 +0000

Dear Guix,

I have been reading on this list of Andreas struggles updating python packages as an outsider to that community. If python programmers are not sticking around, then that may be sign they could use more help.

Python provides access to an unparalleled amount of functionality which greatly empowers users of free software. I want that functionality in Guix for everyone to benefit from. No one person can do it all themselves. There needs to be a healthy community.

I personally would love to see more support for helping scientists port their existing workflows from conda environments to actually reproducible containers, e.g. meeting them where they are and giving them more options for working with older versions of python3.

One idea might be to write a conda importer which looks at the versions of software in the resulting environment and tries to make feasible package variants of make a manifest which matches the existing conda environment as close as possible. Simon thought often the python version usually didn't matter, but it makes users a lot less woosy to stick with software combinations they have already tested.

Another idea would be to create a python package for working with Guix more directly from inside their preferred language environment instead of through the shell. I also wouldn't mind it if such a thing existed for R as well. Both python and R extensively interface with C. On the R side there is an RcppGuile proof of concept package for example. Maybe there could be a project around curating a standard non-bash interface of guile scripts for these and other interactive languages? The rational is that users in these ecosystems often don't have much familiarity with shell programming. Learning both shell and scheme at the same time can be very intimidating and demands a large upfront effort before the value case is clear.

As an enthusiastic beginner, I want to help as much as I can to make Guix better, but I  am not an expert. I just wanted to throw those ideas out there for you real experts to consider and maybe translate into more interesting technical goals you think would help the python community (and other communities) become more engaged.

Cheers,
Kyle