guix-devel

Re: Internship coordination status report

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Internship coordination status report
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 13:53:48 +0100

Hi,

Thanks Gábor for mastering the organisation. :-)

On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 at 19:21, Gábor Boskovits <gboskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> This year the GNU Project was applying again for GSoC, and
> we got the word yesterday that the GNU Project was accepted.

Congrats!  \o/

> Thanks to Jose E. Marches for taking care of this.

Kudos! :-)

> This basically means that we should have a look at our ideas page,
> and run a quick health check on the proposals, enriching them with
> the following information where needed:
>
> (quoted from the mail on the summer of code list)
>   + Title, and description.
>   + Skills required.
>   + A mentor with an email address.
>   + Whether it is a 175 hour or a 350 hour project.
>   + Difficulty: easy, medium or hard.
>   + CLEAR contact method for interested students.

For now, there is this wiki page:

    https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2023

Now, we have to make sure that mentors are available (and just will).

> From now to March 19, be ready to be contacted by contributors, in
> whatever contact means you specified in your ideas page.

Maybe, it would be easy to make guix-devel@gnu.org as clear contact, or
a private alias (Gábor, Pjotr and other interested for helping in the
organization) and then privately redirect candidate to mentors; because
otherwise it appears to me difficult to be “clearly contacted”. :-)

> Outreachy:

> we are working on a solution. I don't want to bore the list with the details
> here, and I will send an update once we have an agreement on how to
> handle it.

Thanks for pushing forward.  I hope we will be able to make a temporary
fix using Guix Europe [1]. :-)

1: <http://foundation.guix.info/>

Cheers,
simon