guix-devel

Re: Oniro or Guix on Zephyr kernel?

From: Peter Polidoro
Subject: Re: Oniro or Guix on Zephyr kernel?
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:19:23 -0500

Actually, my new friend Mitchell just created a blog post about using
GNU Guix for Zephyr kernels:

https://gnucode.me/building-toolchains-with-guix.html

Great blog post, thank you! It makes me a little hesitant about Zephyr if they have just given up on other people building their SDK, but I am very glad all of you smart people are working on a Guix alternative.

I am still curious if other parts of Guix System could be useful in embedded environments if all of the packages are cross-compiled.

I am not sure of the detailed plans for Oniro, but I assume that it will provide some sort of abstraction layer and user space on top of either the Linux kernel or the embedded Zephyr kernel. Would it be possible to make some subset of Guix System into something equivalent or is an entirely new operating system really necessary for that purpose? Are most of the resource requirements for Guix System, 1 Gig of ram, etc, due to the package builder and Guix/Nix daemon? If it was possible to declare an instance of Guix System that did not include those and only used cross-compiled packages, could some portion of Guix System function in a similar way as Oniro, or is that a nonsense question?