guix-devel

Re: Shepherd news + planned feature removal

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Shepherd news + planned feature removal
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 06:14:28 +0100

Am Freitag, dem 24.02.2023 um 00:35 +0000 schrieb Adam Faiz:

> From the perspective of the shepherd, a service that is starting
> isn't running yet, and a service that is stopping isn't stopped yet.
> The "starting" and "stopping" states are just an implementation
> detail to handle the shepherd being asynchronous. It's the running
> and stopped states that a user wants to know about a service.
A user might (intentionally or otherwise) run several shepherd commands
in parallel.  For instance, if herd start my-service blocks and my-
service depends on some-other-service, I can run herd status and it
will tell me:
1. that some-other-service is starting or started
2. that my-service is starting and I shouldn't try to start another

Cheers