guix-devel

Re: Oniro or Guix on Zephyr kernel?

From: Csepp
Subject: Re: Oniro or Guix on Zephyr kernel?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 22:43:55 +0100

Peter Polidoro <peter@polidoro.io> writes:

> I just stumbled across Oniro[1], the Eclipse Foundation's new
> operating system.
>
> It seems that its main goal is to be able to run a common operating
> system on multiple embedded kernels, either the Linux kernel for
> larger devices or the Zephyr kernel for smaller ones.
>
> Since Guix System can run on both the Linux kernel and the Hurd
> kernel, could it, in theory, also run on the Zephyr kernel?
>
> Could Guix System be an alternative to the Oniro project or is there
> something about Guix System which would make it unsuitable for
> embedded devices on an RTOS kernel?
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]
> https://blogs.eclipse.org/post/mike-milinkovich/introducing-oniro-vendor-neutral-open-source-os-next-gen-devices

This doesn't quite answer your question but it's worth noting:
You can use Guix as a build system to compile to any kernel with a Linux
based cross compile toolchain.

I'm currently working on using it to compile MirageOS unikernels.

Reading about the kinds of devices Oniro and OpenHarmony supports, it
seems unlikely that you could run the Guix build system on the lower end
of the spectrum.  Guix already barely copes with lower end ARM and older
i386 devices.  It needs at least 1GB of RAM and plenty of storage,
preferably flash based.

If your device meets those requirements then there is not much reason to
run an embedded OS and if it doesn't then your only chance is cross
compiling to it.

There is actually quite a bit to be gained from using Guix to cross
compile to embedded devices or unikernels, but a lot more work is needed
IMHO.  Help with cross-toolchains is I think always welcome. UwU