guix-devel

Re: Merging core-updates?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Merging core-updates?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 00:01:11 +0100

Hi!

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 10:05:40AM +0100, Julien Lepiller wrote:
>> As discussed at Guix Days before Fosdem, we haven't merged core-updates
>> in a very long time. I'd volunteer to lead this effort, but I don't
>> know what steps I should follow. Do we have some documentation about
>> that?
>
> The process could be considered "free form".
>
> Basically, you can try to reconfigure your system on core-updates. It
> will fail, many build failures will have to be fixed, and eventually it
> will work.

Before you get to that point, there are probably more basic tests to do,
as people pointed out.

Overall, “leading the effort” IMO will be largely about (1) monitoring
the status, and (2) sending weekly (?) status updates to bug the
relevant people, with the understanding that it’ll take a few weeks
before the dust settles down.

Ludo’.