guix-devel

Re: Python (was: Merging core-updates?)

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Python (was: Merging core-updates?)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 17:18:08 +0100

Am Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 10:59:35PM +0000 schrieb Kaelyn:
> It was mentioned recently that python-pycryptodome is / should be a drop-in
> replacement for python-pycrypto (it is also says that in the package
> description);

Apparently it is not, as Lars wrote. And in any case, it does require some
patching: I tried to compile python-potr with either of python-pycryptodome
and python-pycryptodomex, and it fails in the check phase, where it tries
to download pycrypto via pip.

> perhaps replace the python-pycrypto input with python-pycryptodome for
> python-potr, with a snippet to change the pycrypto dependency to pycryptodome
> in python-potr's setup.py?

Indeed this would be an alternative; but then here, I would still argue
that it is not a "drop-in replacement" for python-potr (in C, one could
imagine a separate project creating a library with the same soname).

> After taking a peek at the poezio and python-potr git repos, the main
> alternative I can see to patching the dependency is to remove python-potr
> from poezio's inputs since python-potr is listed as an optional dependency in
> poezio's setup.py (for its OTR plugin).

But without python-potr, the tests fail... So it may be optional, but not
for the tests.

I took the liberty to update poezio while keeping the python-potr
dependency, as it does not worsen the situation, and could be argued to
improve it.

Andreas