guix-devel

Re: Error booting aarch64 installation image

From: Max Brieiev
Subject: Re: Error booting aarch64 installation image
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 10:06:41 +0200

Hi Roman,

Roman Scherer <roman.scherer@burningswell.com> writes:

> I think you need to use --image-type=efi-raw for this to work.

Unfortunately, this doesn't build and produces yet another errors.

> I actually installed my Guix system from another distro. I roughly
> followed this guide here:
>
> https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/guix-on-an-arm-board/

Thank you! I spent all day yesterday playing with this idea.

And it actually works. For me the steps were like this:

1. Launch Debian ARM image.
2. Install Guix on it as package manager
3. Attach an empty qcow image as a storage device (/dev/vdb for me)
4. Partition and format /dev/vdb
5. Mount root and boot efi partitions.
6. Edit file-system entries in lightweight-desktop.scm and save it as
/mnt/etc/config.scm
7. Run:
    guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt
8. Reboot

And this works!

Now I've just discovered in guix-cookbook that there is a special
linux-libre-arm64-generic kernel for ARM boards and that u-boot is
usually used to boot them.

But in my case it works with grub and a default kernel.

Are there any advantages of switching to linux-libre-arm64-generic
kernel?