guix-devel

Re: Building arm64 guix system image

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Building arm64 guix system image
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 16:17:41 +0200

On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 11:31:04AM +0100, Roman Scherer wrote:

> Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:
> >
> > I have two patches on the core-updates branch that should allow building
> > openbios-qemu-ppc from aarch64. I'll try cherry-picking them to master
> > and see if that allows building qemu-minimal.
>
> Hi Efraim,
>
> that would be great. I'm looking forward to try them out.

I ran out of space while building qemu so I'm waiting on the build farm¹
to see if qemu worked. Since qemu-minimal worked I pushed it upstream
and current master should have that building now. I haven't tested
building an image yet though.

¹ https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/211772

> Since we are already talking about arm64 here, do you have experience
> with transparent huge pages on aarch64?
>
> I would love to get some feedback on this one:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2023-02/msg00698.html
>
> Do you know if any of the aarch64 build machines configured with a page
> size > 4K? If so, I think that patch could help building more packages
> on that architecture.
>
> Thanks, Roman.

I'm pretty sure they all use a 4K page size. From
gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/6.1-arm64.conf:
CONFIG_ARM64_4K_PAGES=y
# CONFIG_ARM64_16K_PAGES is not set
# CONFIG_ARM64_64K_PAGES is not set

It looks like they're set for 4K pages. I'm not sure if it can be set
for more than one size at once. As for the transparent huge pages, I'm
pretty sure back in 2017 when I disabled it in jemalloc it was fairly
broken on aarch64 but I don't see a reason to not enable it now.