guix-devel

Re: Merging core-updates?

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Merging core-updates?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:10:12 +0000

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
>
> Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:
>
>> Le Sun, 12 Feb 2023 12:52:51 +0100,
>> Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> a écrit :
>>
>>> Le Sun, 12 Feb 2023 12:06:14 +0100,
>>> Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> a écrit :
>>>
>>> I just tried to build mpc on my machine, from core-updates. I get the
>>> same derivation as the one shown on the data service, and it built
>>> fine. Maybe there's something wrong with the machines behind bordeaux?
>>> I probably got substitutes from berlin, for gcc and friends (though I
>>> built gmp, mpfr and mpc).
>>
>> And I was able to rebuild (with --check) patch-mesboot. The error looks
>> a lot like https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49985. We should fix that indeed
>> :)
>
> It could be something "wrong" with a build machine, although my
> suspicion for a while is that various things are broken/don't work on
> btrfs, which milano-guix-1 (the most important x86_64-linux) build
> machine uses.
>
> I've filed a few issues that probably relate to this:
>
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53415
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53416
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/60202
>
> There are other build machines that don't use btrfs, so it should be
> possible to get these things built anyway.

Following up on this, there are some failed builds for patch-mesboot [1]
for the latest revision of core-updates [2].

1:
https://data.qa.guix.gnu.org/gnu/store/3nidliz9rdxwvvl46i0afvwkfx4yly74-patch-mesboot-2.5.9.drv
2:
https://data.qa.guix.gnu.org/revision/3b57f25f55c52c97428106de285d3cf2746554dc

I've tried this manually on milano-guix-1 (which uses btrfs) and I get
the same failure, so this seems to be specific to the
machine/configuration.

Thanks,

Chris