guix-devel

Re: Openjdk (was: Merging core-updates?)

From: Kaelyn
Subject: Re: Openjdk (was: Merging core-updates?)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:27:02 +0000

Hi,

------- Original Message -------
On Friday, February 17th, 2023 at 4:28 PM, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:

> Am Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 03:49:19PM +0100 schrieb Andreas Enge:
>
> > Hm, I compiled up to openjdk@13, @14 fails with the message below.
> > This is strange. It looks as if the patch that has become obsolete,
> > because integrated into the source @13, is needed again @14!
> > And then @15, the patch is again already integrated into the source code.
> > Very weird!
>

> Things become totally crazy.
> So far I have compiled @13 without the patch, @14 with the patch,
> @15 without the patch, and @16 seems to need it again. Is this an
> odd/even thing? Are there spring and autumn versions of openjdk with
> different release teams?

Hi,

I don't know much about openjdk or its development process, but I had one
possible thought about the pattern of patch application. Was it a patch that
was applied or backported to existing openjdk releases, and are @14 and @16 the
latest releases of those series? At least to me as a naive outside observer,
the patch being needed for some of the older release branches but not others
sounds like a patch applied to multiple existing release branches, with
openjdk@14 and @16 being at older point releases from prior to the patch being
applied upstream.

HTH! (And I apologize for the noise if not!)

Cheers,
Kaelyn