guix-devel

Re: Merging core-updates?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Merging core-updates?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 21:22:26 +0100

Hello,

Am Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 05:51:47PM +0200 schrieb Efraim Flashner:
> I think we normally have a 2 week last-chance window to get all sorts of
> last minute packages bumped and then we freeze it and try to build
> "everything".

I am a bit hesitant to let more breakages in :)  It looks like we have
reached the Debian trap: releases/core-update merges happen so infrequently
that people become desperate to get their favourite update in, which causes
build failures, which delay the release cycle, da capo ad infinitum.

Personally I would prefer to freeze now, then to let other big changes
(mesa for instance) happen in a feature branch; if all goes well, it could
be merged a week or two later, if it breaks things, it will anyway take
the time it needs to fix them.

Andreas