guix-devel

Re: Proposed changes to the commit policy

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Proposed changes to the commit policy
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 13:41:46 +0200

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 10:40:42PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My 2¢ on this…  As a committer & reviewer, I love that I can just go to
> <https://qa.guix.gnu.org/patches>, pick one of the patch series with a
> green tick, and have the assurance that the resource-intensive work is
> already done.  That makes a big difference!
>
> As someone who submits patches, I realize the delay can be off-putting.
> For the hwloc upgrade I recently submitted, I got valuable feedback
> pointing at actual issues, but that was about a week later.  Then I had
> to switch contexts again to adjust the patch accordingly.
>
> I guess that, to a large extent, that’s scheduling and resource issue.
>
> Happy to discuss that in the coming days in Brussels!

Some of that might be mitigated by separating submitting patches and
pushing patches. On the rare occasion I've pushed patches belonging to
another committer if I felt it had been long enough and I needed it for
another patchset. If we're ok with touching up and pushing each other's
patches then reviewing all patches might go faster.

Even more so if we made it a rule that you couldn't push your own
patches (which I believe was suggested in 2017 and with using aegis).