guix-devel

Re: branch core-updates updated: gnu: coreutils-boot0: Fix building on a

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: branch core-updates updated: gnu: coreutils-boot0: Fix building on arm architectures.
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 21:10:40 +0200

On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 03:56:24PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,

Sorry for taking a while to get back to answer this.

> Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:
>
> > On December 12, 2022 1:47:29 PM UTC, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >>
> >>Isn’t there a risk that things will break down the road if ‘sort’,
> >>‘hostname’, etc. are missing?  How hard would it be to address the build
> >>failure instead?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Ludo’.
> >
> > I built all the way out to hello without any problems. Also %final-inputs
> > has coreutils-final, so it really shouldn't be noticable.
>
> That’s odd though.  Isn’t there some upstream patch we could take?
> Surely ‘sort’ has no reason to contain arch-specific code?
>
> If there’s no such patch, we can go with the patch above, but then there
> should be a comment linking to bug reports and reassuring the reader
> that yes, some packages do build even without these commands.  :-)

In file included from src/timeout.c:53:0:
/gnu/store/4fy2658sxphy1kgclxrrmcka6lwiwap0-glibc-bootstrap-0/include/sys/prctl.h:22:66:
 fatal error: linux/prctl.h: No such file or directory
 #include <linux/prctl.h>  /*  The magic values come from here  */

I'm not sure if it's because armhf and aarch64 are using
%bootstrap-glibc vs glibc-2.16, but I didn't see this problem with
glibc-mesboot or with the %bootstrap-glibc from architectures using
2.31.

Other workarounds I thought of were adding in a glibc-boot0 here to
replace libc for everybody or using an older version (the last one in
the 8 series), but this seemed like the least invasive option for now.

I've also added a comment so it'll be clearer what's happening there.

> (There’s no “coreutils” command BTW, unless enabling the
> everything-in-one-binary trick, no?)

It turns out coreutils does allow for that.