guix-devel

Re: Merging core-updates?

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Merging core-updates?
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 15:49:49 +0100

Hi everyone,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> I volunteer to follow your lead, but also have no clue what is actually
> expected.

I would also like to give a hand!

> [...]
> Actually I am wondering whether the first step of killing these untamed
> non-feature branches would not be to build and merge staging? It is based
> on master, supposed to contain only medium sized changes, but which I
> suspect end up being a world-rebuilding cluster of changes.

You're right, for this to smoothly transition into the "feature branch
workflow" (if that's actually what we want to do) I guess we also need
to lay out a plan first, and prepare for the post-c.u-merge
world. Getting rid of staging first could be an easier exercise,
followed by c-u. I was planning on taking your notes of the Guix days
and opening a discussion about how we could concretely transition to
this new workflow, I can maybe do that this evening.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret