guix-devel

Re: Merging core-updates?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Merging core-updates?
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 12:06:14 +0100

Hello,

Am Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 10:05:40AM +0100 schrieb Julien Lepiller:
> As discussed at Guix Days before Fosdem, we haven't merged core-updates
> in a very long time. I'd volunteer to lead this effort, but I don't
> know what steps I should follow. Do we have some documentation about
> that?

I volunteer to follow your lead, but also have no clue what is actually
expected.

With Chris's help, I scheduled an evaluation on the build coordinator,
which has not finished yet, so there is not yet anything to see at

http://data.qa.guix.gnu.org/gnu/store/bjyfp7bhb9j25sw62nrkqjiivnzjxija-mpc-1.3.1.drv
But if you click down the dependency tree, some of them have been built.
And the first one already failed:

http://data.qa.guix.gnu.org/gnu/store/0p0zs4gv8vg7rny25ki1szv4c7yk9zzb-patch-mesboot-2.5.9.drv
With a strange error:
starting phase `build'
make: stat:Makefile: sterror: unknown error
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
error: in phase 'build': uncaught exception:
srfi-34 #<condition &invoke-error [program: "make" arguments: () exit-status: 2
term-signal: #f stop-signal: #f] 1439cc0>
phase `build' failed after 0.0 seconds
command "make" failed with status 2
Having failed three times in a row, this does not look like a transient error.

I also reconfigured bayfront to do more builds itself.

Actually I am wondering whether the first step of killing these untamed
non-feature branches would not be to build and merge staging? It is based
on master, supposed to contain only medium sized changes, but which I
suspect end up being a world-rebuilding cluster of changes.

Andreas