guix-devel

guix deploy with cross compile

From: Matthew Wolff
Subject: guix deploy with cross compile
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 12:06:34 -0600

Hello Guix developers,

Does guix deploy support cross compilation targets (as opposed to qemu emulation with binfmt_misc)?

If not, would you consider adding support for that? With some guidance on where to find the appropriate locations to modify in the codebase, I could try to help out.

Here is my use case:
I have a handful of ARM single-board computers, and it would be convenient to manage them through guix deploy. However, I only have an x86-64 workstation. The ARM boards are too low-powered for them to update themselves (they sometimes run out of memory trying to compute derivations), but the workstation using guix-deploy is unbearably slow since it must use emulation. If it could instead cross compile when deploying that would speed things up tremendously.

I suppose this use case could alternatively be served by having the boards offload to the workstation, but that doesn't support cross compilation either, right? I'd be in the same situation with very slow emulated builds on the workstation.

Thanks,
Matthew