guix-devel

[feature-request] patches on channels ?

From: Nicolas Graves
Subject: [feature-request] patches on channels ?
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 00:49:54 +0100

Hi!

A few lines of context:

I'm using guix and contribute for more than a year now, and I'm still
perfecting my ability to contribute to it. I maintain my dotfiles open
in a (more and more) minimalistic repo, while trying to work more and
more directly in local copies of guix (and rde), to directly benefit
from my development while diminishing transition costs :
https://git.sr.ht/~ngraves/dotfiles

Here's the catch: I don't want to create duplicate online repositories
(for environmental reasons), so I'm only working locally. Which makes
the work more fragile. One feature I would love to have is thus the
ability to work with stacked patches on upstream guix instead of local
repositories.

Thus, I could
1) develop locally
2) send my patches
3) while unapplied, patch my channels with the patches I sent, be it on
guix or rde.
4) quickly switch back between "stable" upstream guix + patches and
local branch development during the review process.
5) just delete the patches line when they get merge.

This would require something like adding a patches field on the channels
record-type.

Would such a feature be appreciated? Should I work on that or is there a
reason not to do this?

--
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves