guix-devel

Re: Getting tree-sitter grammars in Guix

From: Demis Balbach
Subject: Re: Getting tree-sitter grammars in Guix
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 18:50:00 +0100

On 2023-02-06 18:25, Simon Tournier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On sam., 04 févr. 2023 at 20:27, Demis Balbach <db@minikn.xyz> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that I need to provide emacs with tree-sitter
>> support as an input for this to work, which I did, but it'll fail with

>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-missing "Cannot open load file" "No such
>> file or directory" "treesit")
>>
>> Maybe someone can help me here. I tried looking at other package
>> definitions, but I don't know if there are any emacs packages that
>> require tree-sitter packaged in Guix yet.
>
> Could you share your definition of Emacs variant allowing tree-sitter?
>
> Please note it is not clear for me if the tree-sitter parsers should be
> provided by Guix since 1. they are auto-generated and so it is against
> the effort to debootstrap and 2. they are often very large.
>
> Cheers,
> simon

Hello Simon,

as far as I understand emacs is already packaged with tree-sitter
support in Guix (I didn't know this when I wrote my last message).

Regarding packaging emacs packages that leverage tree-sitter, one just
has to provide the correct emacs version as an argument, like:

;; ...
(arguments
`(#:emacs ,emacs-next-pgtk
 ;; ...
))

Thanks to Andrew Troping for showing me that.

--
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Demis Balbach