guix-devel

What's the state of (guix build download-nar)?

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: What's the state of (guix build download-nar)?
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 16:25:33 +0100

Hey!

As part of the work on bordeaux.guix.gnu.org, I've stumbled upon (guix
build download-nar). I'm not sure I understand it very well, but it
relates to downloading nars from berlin.guix.gnu.org.

I guess this raises two things in my mind. I'm not sure this'll work
well given the not so recent changes to ci.guix.gnu.org. This module
looks to rely on gzipped or uncompressed nars. I'm not sure uncompressed
nars are available, and gzipped ones are no longer available.

The second question is around the relation to bordeaux.guix.gnu.org, is
it worth trying to support fetching nars from bordeaux.guix.gnu.org
here, and what would be the best way of doing that? It wouldn't be too
hard to add support for decomressed nars I think if that's a good
approach?

Thanks,

Chris