guix-devel

Re: Building hexyl (a rust app) without cargo, with antioxidant-build-sy

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Building hexyl (a rust app) without cargo, with antioxidant-build-system
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 17:15:26 +0200

Efraim Flashner schreef op ma 30-05-2022 om 11:23 [+0300]:
> Something that might help with that would be to also include the
> source of the crate somewhere in the output. Then at the worst we
> could just put the rust inputs of librsvg as regular inputs and let
> librsvg do its own special build thing. We'd then still keep the
> build dependency tree you've got working.

Maybe, but that kind of defeats the point of

 * no compiling dependencies again -- old artifacts are reused

and librsvg's build system seems to use Cargo, so then we again have
the problem that Cargo wants Windows crates etc. that are useless in
Guix and its overly-pickyness in versioning, we lose the ability to let
crates be shared libraries (not yet implemented, but could be
implemented in antioxidant) ..., so I'd rather just implement cdylib
and patch the build system appropriately.

(It's build system is more complicated than ordinary crates, but the
additional Makefile.am isn't too long).

Greetings,
Maxime.