guix-devel

Cuirass and SQL

From: zimoun
Subject: Cuirass and SQL
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 11:06:24 +0200

Hi,

On jeu., 26 mai 2022 at 00:24, Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> wrote:

>> Quick question about guix-forge.  Why laminar instead of cuirass as
>> the CI?
>
> Two reasons:
>
> - Cuirass requires a PostgreSQL database, but I wanted guix-forge to be
>   as stateless as possible and definitely not require a complex database
>   server like PostgreSQL. Laminar just uses sqlite.

Initially, Cuirass was using SQLite but then switched [1] to
PostgreSQL.  The main reason is scalability.

I do not know if it is a technically doable to have two SQL backends and
let the user pick the one they prefer.  For sure, it is not doable from
a maintenance point of view.

About the complexity of PostgreSQL, I think the Guix services [2,3] help here.

1:
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-cuirass.git/commit/?id=cbc462679d2647ecc897231cc78781a90fa2441a>
2: <https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Continuous-Integration>
3: <https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Database-Services>