guix-devel

Re: Move /gnu/store to another filesystem

From: Kaelyn
Subject: Re: Move /gnu/store to another filesystem
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 16:24:59 +0000

Hi Théo,

n Thursday, May 26th, 2022 at 3:44 AM, Théo Maxime Tyburn
<theo.tyburn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gio,
>
> Giovanni Biscuolo g@xelera.eu writes:
>

> [...]
>
> > maybe you misconfigured "mount-point" and "type"?
> >
> > what about:
> >
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> >
> > (define %store-fs ;; <--- This is what I want to add.
> > (file-system (device (file-system-label "storage-fs"))
> > (mount-point "/gnu/store")
> > (type "btrfs")
> >
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> >
> > WDYT?
>

> Oh yes sorry, I did a mistake while copy-pasting. What you suggested
> is actually what I am using.

If you have the new /gnu/store as a btrfs subvolume, you may need to tell
`mount` which subvolume to mount there. I haven't tried moving /gnu/store, but
my systems have / and /gnu/store as separate btrfs subvolumes in the same
LUKS-encrypted partition. Here is the `file-systems` stanza of one of my
system's operating-system declaration, in case it is helpful:

  (file-systems
    (let ((rootfs (file-system
             (mount-point "/")
             (device "/dev/mapper/cryptroot1")
             (type "btrfs")
             (check? #f)
             (options "compress=zstd,subvol=@guix")
             (dependencies mapped-devices))))
    (cons* rootfs
           (file-system
             (mount-point "/boot/efi")
             (device (file-system-label "EFI"))
             (type "vfat")
             (mount-may-fail? #t)
             (dependencies mapped-devices))
           (file-system
             (mount-point "/gnu")
             (device "/dev/mapper/cryptroot1")
             (type "btrfs")
             (check? #f)
             (options "compress=zstd,subvol=@gnu_store")
             (dependencies (cons rootfs mapped-devices)))
           %base-file-systems)))

Cheers,
Kaelyn