guix-devel

Re: see which X11 config is being used

From: Théo Maxime Tyburn
Subject: Re: see which X11 config is being used
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 21:11:35 +0200

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Théo Maxime Tyburn <theo.tyburn@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> thanks, that helped! I just learned by scrolling the guix-devel archives
>> that log files are conventionaly gathered in /var/log in guix. I wasn’t
>> aware of that. Is it documented somewhere ?
>
> I don’t think it’s documented; it’s a traditional Unix convention I
> think.

Yes it seems indeed. I have somehow missed that.

>Perhaps we should explain it somewhere in the manual, maybe next
> to ‘syslog-service-type’?

What about:

Following the Unix tradition, logs are generally put in
/var/log/. This is for exemple the case for the logs from Xorg, slim, mcron,
lightdm,
gdm, and docker.

I am not sure where to put it though. Under Services for sure. Near syslog
could make sense
but at the same time it is not where I would have looked. Also syslog
doesn’t determines where logs from all these programs are put. Or does
it? If not, maybe it could have a place directly on the Services page.

This is the content of %default-syslog.conf

# Log all error messages, authentication messages of
# level notice or higher and anything of level err or
# higher to the console.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.alert;auth.notice;authpriv.none       /dev/console

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none          /var/log/messages

# Like /var/log/messages, but also including "debug"-level logs.
*.debug;mail.none;authpriv.none         /var/log/debug

# Same, in a different place.
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none          /dev/tty12

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.*                              /var/log/secure

# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*                                  /var/log/maillog

Or maybe it could be even better to have a page where all the
similarities and particularities of guix are listed. Like what follows
the Unix convention and what doesn’t. Maybe the list of what follows
the Unix convention would be too long, but the particuliarities would
surely be nice to have.

> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Cheers,