guix-devel

Re: libvirt: A potential problem in the package and looking for guidance

From: Allan Adair
Subject: Re: libvirt: A potential problem in the package and looking for guidance
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 21:44:23 +0200

Thanks! Looks like I was on a good track. The only reference that I could
find to /usr/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper was in the meson.build file of the
libvirt package. I wrote a package variant that looks like this, to test:

(define-public libvirt-with-qemu-bridge-helper
  (package
    (inherit libvirt)
    (name "libvirt-with-qemu-bridge-helper")
    (arguments
     (substitute-keyword-arguments (package-arguments libvirt)
       ((#:phases phases)
        #~(modify-phases #$phases
            ;; libvirt needs to be able to find qemu's bridge helper
            ;; this is hacky, perhaps a patch on meson.build would be
better.
            (add-after 'unpack 'find-qemu-bridge-helper
              (lambda* (#:key inputs #:allow-other-keys)
                (let* ((qemu (assoc-ref inputs "qemu")))
                  (substitute* "meson.build"
                    (("/usr/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper")
                     (format #f "~a/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper"
    (inputs
     (modify-inputs (package-inputs libvirt)
                    (append qemu)))))

However the effort was fruitless, and my efforts on this are currently on
pause. If I am able to fix it I plan to submit a patch.