guix-devel

Re: RFC: Configurable placing of the ~/.guix-home symlink

From: Andrew Tropin
Subject: Re: RFC: Configurable placing of the ~/.guix-home symlink
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 10:26:12 +0300

On 2022-05-05 06:55, Attila Lendvai wrote:

>> When trying to get a clean $HOME, I see that the ~/.guix-home path is fixed
>> in
>> the code under gnu/home/*,
>> usually via (string-append (GETENV "HOME") "/.guix-home").
>
> FWIW, i was also surprised that the default is not something under
> ~/.config/guix/

It also can be problematic, we can't hardcode ~/.config/guix home due to
XDG spec, and at the same time XDG_CONFIG_HOME can be managed by Guix
Home, but also can be set outside, and all the points mentioned above
applicable here as well.

Back in the day, the implementation of Guix Home required a symlink in
home directory, right now due to improvements in symlink-manager and
reconfigure code it's probably not necessary and with a few patches
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/bob/guix-home/ can be used instead.

--
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin